Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [May 23 1700Z-2000Z] RYRvirtual May Summer Getaway Event  (Read 11494 times)

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
[May 23 1700Z-2000Z] RYRvirtual May Summer Getaway Event
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

RYRvirtual, Europe's favourite VA, will hold our next monthly event on Sunday 23rd May from Dublin(EIDW) to Faro(LPFR) on VATSIM. Departures will begin from 1700Z, with full ATC expected at both airports courtesy of VATeir and Portugal vACC.

Route: PESIT L149 BAKUR UL149 DAWLY UN864 SALCO UM30 BERAD UN866 STG UN726 NARBO ALAGU
Dublin Airport Info: http://www.ryrvirtual.com/operations/airports/Ireland/DUB [must be member to view]
Faro Airport Info: http://www.ryrvirtual.com/operations/airports/Portugal/FAO [must be member to view]

And as always, if you're not a member of RYRvirtual, don't worry, you're more than welcome to come along!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:53:06 pm by James O'Grady »
VATeir Events Director | RYRvirtual.com Joint CEO | EuroScope Beta Tester

Kavs8

Re: [May 23 1700Z-2000Z] RYRvirtual May Summer Getaway Event
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:02 pm »
Hi James i finnally given in :D i think im going to start my online FS career  :D :D can you help me setting it up, much appreciated ;D

Cathal.

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:18:06 pm »
Hi James i finnally given in :D i think im going to start my online FS career  :D :D can you help me setting it up, much appreciated ;D

Cathal.

Hi Cathal, first thing you need to do is setup a VATSIM account, which you can do here - http://cert.vatsim.net/vatsimnet/signup.html

Once you have a VATSIM ID, the next thing to do is download a pilot client, and you have the choice of Squawkbox(MSFS), XSquawkbox(X-Plane), or FSINN(MSFS). FSINN is probably better if you're on a 64-Bit system, or anything later than Windows XP, but its really complicated to get setup. Squawkbox is a bit buggy with 64-bit systems, but they're small enough to put up with ye know, but its a lot easier to setup and run than FSINN is.

For a quick tutorial on connecting with Squawkbox, click here: http://www.vateir.com/connecting.php

For getting flightplans, best program to use is vroute, which is also useful for seeing whos online.

Other good programs for checking whos online are ServInfo(Update - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=115886), and VAT-Spy.

I'd reccommend joining the VATeir(Irish vACC) forums where you'll find a lot of helpful info on starting out on VATSIM, and you can ask any questions you have there too.

Hope this helps. :)

Ciaran

• Beta Tester
  • Forum Member
    • utube
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:38:17 pm »
Don't forget you can also use dolomynum to see who's on. It's like google earth but displays the vatsim info of course  :) http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=dlmn125.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (3.0GHz, 125W)
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
6144MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024]
1GB DUAL Crossfire

Kavs8

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
Thanks guys much appreciated im all set-up (Vatsim-ID & App for RYR Virtual :) ) now but im just waiting to be approved for Vateir ;) just wondering is headsets a must ? e.g. is it like the real deal talking via the internet to ATC

Passed the RYR virtual test with 22/30 without any online experience! good if i say so myself :D :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:21:00 am by Kavs8 »

Ciaran

• Beta Tester
  • Forum Member
    • utube
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:51 am »
IT's a lot better and realistic to have a headset and saves you having to type a lot of stuff ;)
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (3.0GHz, 125W)
windows 7 home premium 64 bit
6144MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024]
1GB DUAL Crossfire

Kavs8

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »
Glad i have 1 then! :D :D

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Just accepted your application to RYR there, so you're all set. Make sure though to read through the FAQ on the site, and the guide to setting up and running XAcars in the Pilots Area. For radio transmissions, it might be worth your while listening in to Dublin ATC on www.liveatc.net, and you can get a feel for how its all done then. Another thing you could is when Dublin or Shannon are online, you could load up at one of the airports and just listen in. :)

Kavs8

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
Okay what ive done....

1) Signed up and recieved my VATSIM ID.
2) Signed up & approved my ryrvirtual app.
3) Have downloaded Squawkbox and installed it.
4) Have downloaded and set-up my vroute account.

The next thing is ive booked a ORK-DUB flight which can be seen on the RYR virtual site, but im puzzeled at what next to do,

1) it says A/C EI-EBZ where do i get this aircraft?
2) How do i get up and running the holething combined into a flight on FS2004.

Finnally :D im verry firmilure with the ATC world im a plane-spotter (ATC-LIstner) afterall so i have a good idea on how its done...

Thanks for the Help so far James & Ciarán. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:20:20 pm by Kavs8 »

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »
1)  You don't need to have the livery for the specific aircraft you book, but theres plenty of liveries available in the Fleet Downloads section of the site.

2)  Next thing to do is download XAcars. Once you have that installed, you need to set it up as described here. When you go to do a flight, you can start XAcars before or after you start FS, but you can't start logging your flight until you're on the ground when it can detect a connection to FS. Once you're on the ground with engines off etc, you should set XAcars up and start running it as described here.

Again make sure you run it exactly as described, otherwise your flight may not log.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:33:36 pm by James O'Grady »

Kavs8

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:14:14 pm »
Have that done now do i really need vroute & squawkbox??

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:32 pm »
Have that done now do i really need vroute & squawkbox??

vroute is only need to see whos online. But you need Squawkbox to connect to VATSIM, theres a quick guide here to setting it up: http://forum.ryrvirtual.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19

Kavs8

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:45:18 pm »
I no i sound stupid but im completly lossed ???

What i have downloaded-installed:
XACARS, Vroute, Squawkbox

What i have been signed up-to & approved:
VATSIM, RYRVIRTUAL, VATEIR (Pending)

My problem's are:

Setting up FS for the acctual flight >:(

James O'Grady

• Forum Member
    • RYRvirtual
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »
I no i sound stupid but im completly lossed ???

What i have downloaded-installed:
XACARS, Vroute, Squawkbox

What i have been signed up-to & approved:
VATSIM, RYRVIRTUAL, VATEIR (Pending)

My problem's are:

Setting up FS for the acctual flight >:(

lol its grand, we've all been there at some stage. Just load up on a stand in Cork, have everything shutdown. If you're using the PMDG 737 theres no option to have it load up in cold & dark mode, so what you have to do is load up in the cessna 172 first, and turn off mixture, shutdown the engines, turn off avionics and master switches etc. and then load up in the PMDG. Then click Modules at the top, and start Squawkbox, and connect as normal.

Then start XAcars if you haven't already started it, and set that up as described in the link above. And then you have to file a flightplan in Squawkbox once connected, which is described in the link my last post.

Then you're good to go. If ATC is on, you just get your clearance, if theres not just monitor frequency 122.800 which is UNICOM, the frequency you should monitor when no ATC is on, and if theres other traffic near you you should announce your intentions by text.

Kavs8

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »
Thanks for that detailed explanation! It acctually worked completly but as expected no ATC at ORK at he moment, ill try DUB do i simply use they e.g. 118.100 codes as in the AFCAD?